You probably make New Year’s resolutions for yourself but how about for your car? You faithful jalopy is what gets you everywhere you need to go so show your car a little love in 2019. Here’s how.
- Start paying attention. It’s easy to laugh at those who treat their car like a cherished pet but the truth is many major repairs start out as minor ones that could have been caught early, if only you had been paying attention. Simply noticing subtle changes in how your car runs or handles can be an effective early warning system. Something doesn’t feel right? It probably isn’t.
- Consider seeing a specialist.Some makes of cars such as Audi or Volkswagen can benefit from specialty repair shops. For instance, a VW repair shop will know the ins and outs of your particular vehicle much better than a generic auto repair franchise. Getting regular maintenance and repairs done right the first time is well worth the investment.
- Do a little DIY. Taking just a few minutes to inspect and maintain your car can go a long way in extending its service life. Make sure you check your tire pressure and the car’s fluid levels on a regular basis. Depending on the car, this should include oil, coolant, power steering fluid, brake fluid and transmission fluid. Top up fluids that are low and give your engine a onceover, keeping an eye out for anything that doesn’t look right such as frayed or worn belts, or loose connections.
- Get organised. If you don’t already have an organised system for filing service and repair records, create one. There’s nothing like trying to track down a receipt for a brake job when you’re trying to figure out when the last time you had them replaced was. Keeping everything in one spot makes tracking car maintenance quick and easy.
- Limit distractions. There are actually three different types of driver distractions: visual, manual and cognitive. A visual distraction is something that takes your eyes off the road while a manual distraction is something such as holding a phone and talking into it. Cognitive distractions are anything that takes your focus off of driving. Texting is so dangerous because it involves all three types of distractions. Make a commitment to avoid texting while driving and to limit all driver distractions.
Keep these New Year’s resolutions and your car is sure to thank you.